Hello & Good-Bye
[mk_dropcaps style="fancy-style"]M[/mk_dropcaps]y dear friends- This is a look into my reflections on the last year. May what I learned from the last year bring some fresh wisdom to you. I want to thank those of you who take the time out of your life read through these posts. They are like pieces of my heart woven into words and sharing them with you has been one of the most stretching and growing experiences I have been through. I do not take for granted the privilege to share with you. You are a one of a kind with limitless potential. I may not ever know you personally, but know that no matter what you have someone in your corner cheering you on in your race. The best lays ahead in 2015. Will you believe it and embrace it?
After talking so much about goals and themes for this next year I feel it is only right I share my word for 2015. It is fearless. Please share here or on the FB page what your word for the year is. I am praying for you and know you will have a year full of the grace and favor of God.
With Love and Respect,
Good-bye 2014 your time has ended. I hate to see you go, but your time is up. You have brought some great memories, joy, laughter, but the inevitable challenges and pain as well. You were an imperfect year, but one year I will never get back and I cherish you for that. All the bumps, bruises and scars you have left me with I choose to wear as badges of what it means to live a life obediently for the Lord as best as my humanity allows.
There was much you have taught me and for that I am forever grateful. Most impactful you showed me:
Not to avoid positive confrontation.
- Avoidance of an issue only feeds it like fertilizer. Face the issue head on and make the relationship stronger, or the situation clearer. The awkwardness of the confrontation is far less than the price paid for letting it go unattended.
To desire forward progress, not forward perfection.
- Take a step, go, even knowing it will not perfect. The best teacher is experience. If you wait for perfection you may never experience all that there is to in this life. Writing this blog and my book are evidence to this. My writing has had much room for improvement. I am not perfect in grammar or diction. I misspell many words. I have not been nor claim to be perfect, so how can I expect perfection in my writing?. I definitely do not write what everyone agrees with. But one thing I do I press on. I stretch and grow operating out of a desire to produce excellence. Not just in this writing project but in all areas of life. This blog is part of my destiny. I do not know what the future holds with it, but 2014 taught me that all you need to do is the next baby step. Even if it is a misstep, at least it is a step. Our movement creates more room for God to move in.
Emotions are feedback not the focus point.
- What I feel is an indicator of where my maturity is, what is currently healing, what needs attention, and where my capacity to process those emotions healthfully resides. Focusing on what you are feeling in any given moment does nothing else but to feed them. Emotions are fleeting and unstable. They are like the sand on the sea, easily swept away by the waves or the breeze. Choosing to directly my life based off emotions is then choosing to anchor my life to that which is unstable. Focusing the direction of my life on the principles and call of God anchors my life to Him, the rock. The intensity of feelings fades under the hand of my God who is steady and strong. Thank you 2014 for showing me this so practically and fully.
Communication and Boundaries are always under construction.
- Saying something once does not mean it was well communicated. Like a living organism, relationships require tending to grow and strengthen. Do not rely on the feebleness of words to build a strong relationship. With every word shared and reinforced with the appropriate action you strengthen the integrity of the foundation in which the relationship lies. Communication affords for increased flexibility and adaptability of relationships through challenges and trials faced. Healthy boundaries create margin to ensure endurance and longevity of relationships. All in all, to nurture relationships, requires the fluctuating balance of tending and keeping through consistent communication and support of mutual boundaries. I am not and will not be perfect at this either, but all it requires is consistency of tending. The growing will happen as the tending continues.
The Lord is the ONLY one that fully satisfies ALL of my heart.
- In all things and all areas of my heart the Lord is the one who satisfies my soul. No one else. That means to the deepest desires, God is the only one who can satisfy all of me fully and completely. 2014 you taught me that I NEED God to satisfy my heart in every single thing to live an abundant life. I do not need anyone else but Jesus. Yet God made me to want and crave relationships, a husband, to desire significance in work, and to create. When I try to satisfy needs with things that are only wants I become restless and unsettled. When I feel either of those ways chances are I have withheld God’s love from permeating that area of my heart. 2014 you have taught me this unlike any other as I have begun to date from a place of healing and faith. What I thought was turned over completely to God, I found was not. But now I see how putting God at the center of it ALL changes everything. I have more capacity to love and be vulnerable because it is not in my own strength, but in the Lord’s. I cannot wait for the journey ahead.
Why hello 2015 it is nice to meet you! Already I can see you will be a year full of adventure, new beginnings, and growth. It is my belief you will be the best year yet. Not because of your perfection, but because I expect my God to do the impossible.
2015, you are the year of living fearlessly. That means free from fear. This does not mean void of fear. Fear will most likely be faced countless times as I embrace your depths 2015. While in the past such fear would have bound me, with this year fear will not control any of my thoughts, words or actions. After all it is through the perfect love of my God that I am free from fear. Within this year it is my mission that I will love people fearlessly. Knowing full well that in doing so I will be hurt at times. Love is vulnerable, and I embrace that risk as part of the game. To avoid vulnerability is to avoid love. Avoiding love is essentially avoiding God, since God is love. We are reminded of this in 1 John 4:17-18(msg):
[mk_blockquote style="line-style" font_family="none" text_size="16" align="center"]God is love. When we take up permanent residence in a life of love, we live in God and God lives in us. This way, love has the run of the house, becomes at home and mature in us, so that we’re free of worry on Judgment Day—our standing in the world is identical with Christ’s. There is no room in love for fear. Well-formed love banishes fear. Since fear is crippling, a fearful life—fear of death, fear of judgment—is one not yet fully formed in love.[/mk_blockquote]
2015 you hold a bounty of yet to experience adventures, joy and trials. I cannot wait for our journey together to begin. You are the year of being fearless.
With that, good bye 2014 and hello 2015!